It’s February, otherwise known as the “Month of Love” and that means many, many proposals will be happening. Anxious boyfriends all over are planning this life changing event and hoping plans go off without a hitch.
I’ve decided to be your fairy godmother and provide you with a few simple ideas to ease your nerves and help you navigate your proposal so it turns out to be every bit of the fairytale you hoped for.
1. Make a plan – sounds simple enough eh? Location, date and time for starters. What suits your personality as a couple? Public or private? You want to show her that you have spent some time thinking about it and you want to be able to tell the story afterwards and not be embarrassed!
2. The ring – how do you choose the perfect ring? I’m sure I’ve mentioned this in a previous post, but it bears repeating, before the proposal you should have her show you styles of engagement rings she likes, that way you know exactly what she wants. Otherwise, enlist the help of her bestie for ideas.
3. Asking for permission – call me “traditional’ I have no problems with that. I do think you should ask permission, not because you have to, but because it is a sign of respect, whether you’re asking her parent(s) or even a sibling in some cases. It is really an excellent gesture and one that you can never repeat. Be respectful of different cultures, it may not be required in your culture, but other cultures may consider it offensive.
4. Ensure you know what your partner’s schedule for the day is, the last thing you want to do is plan an incredible evening and have to enjoy it alone.
5. Practice makes perfect – what are you going to say? I always suggest writing things down. You most certainly do not have to memorize word for word, but it helps to have a clear idea of everything you would like to say. Remember, these are the most important words you will say, make it memorable.
6. Clothing – before I get to the clothing, let’s briefly touch on personal hygiene, yes I went there. Shower, shave, get a haircut etc. The absolute last thing you want is to ruin this moment with poor hygiene. Now back to clothing, choose something comfortable, note, comfortable does not mean sloppy. Wear something you feel confident in, I say confidence is sexy, she won’t be able to resist you.
7. Would you like to document your engagement? – more and more couples are starting to document their proposal, it’s sooo cute. You can hire a photographer for the entire proposal or have them take shots immediately after.
8. Just do it – after all the planning, just do it! Speak from your heart and I’m sure you will have your answer, an emphatic YES!
We would love to hear your engagement stories, leave a comment below and win a prize instantly.
Contact us today for all your proposal or wedding planning needs.
Photo credit: Harry Winston